Pages

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Fish and Rice

Tonight we opted for a fish and rice dinner. We had tilapia fillets, which were lightly sauteed in a little vegetable oil and just seasoned with salt and pepper. The fillets were served over a bed of Jasmine rice. So far, it sounds really simple. The sauce is what made the dish; a Red-Curry Carrot Sauce. You simmer some sliced carrots in chicken broth with some crushed garlic. Once they are done, run everything through the blender until smooth and pour it back in the pot. Add some milk, Asian fish sauce, red Thai curry paste, brown sugar and salt. Reheat and serve over the rice and fish fillets. Garnish with chopped cilantro. A nice and flavorful Thai dish without a lot of heat.

While I was at the market this afternoon, I found some fresh rhubarb which I couldn't resist picking up. I also bought a quart of strawberries since I know they pair together so well. I made Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp, which I remember seeing Anne Burrell make on Secrets of a Restaurant Chef recently. The filling consisted of strawberries, rhubarb, sugar, cornstarch, orange juice and balsamic vinegar. The topping is whole-wheat flour, rolled oats, brown sugar, butter, vanilla extract, salt and a little water. After baking for 30 minutes, this crisp came out perfect. A small scoop of vanilla ice cream made it heavenly.

No comments:

Post a Comment