Pages

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Stuffed Squash with Sausage and Kale


Sorry I haven't been posting regularly, I'll try to stay on track. On Tuesday night, I made myself Stuffed Squash with Sausage and Kale. I started by roasting a butternut squash that I cut in half for 45 minutes as the recipe stated.

While the squash was roasting, I toasted some fresh breadcrumbs in a skillet in olive oil until crisp and brown. Off heat, I added some parsley, lemon zest, salt and red pepper flakes. These went in a bowl to be used as a topping later.

I moved on to the filling by sauteing some turkey Italian sausage, breaking it up until beginning to brown before adding some shallots and garlic. I deglazed the pan with a little white wine and then stirred in some halved cherry tomatoes, chopped apple and fresh sage. After a few minutes some chopped kale and garbanzo beans went in and cooked until the kale started to wilt. Lastly a little bit of diced white Cheddar cheese was stirred in.

The filling was spooned onto the roasted butternut squash half and then sprinkled with the bread crumb topping.

This dish was very good, but I must have picked an extremely hard butternut squash. My squash was not cooked as much as I would have liked it to be. I will definitely make this dish again, but pay very close attention to the squash.

My rating

No comments:

Post a Comment