Pages

Sunday, September 12, 2010

To Cook, or Not to Cook?


With Gerry in Hawaii for the week, I was faced with the dilemma of cooking or eating out for most of my meals. I decided to allow a couple of meals out and planned my menu for the week. Tonight was certainly a four star, restaurant quality meal. I had Filet Mignon with Port Sauce, Cranberries and Blue Cheese with a side of Dijon Snow Peas.

A beef tenderloin filet was seared in a skillet on both sides, removed and tented with foil to stay warm and rest. In the same skillet, some shallots and cranberries were sauteed and deglazed with port and a little beef broth. The port and broth were allowed to reduce by a third, before some Worcestershire, balsamic vinegar and Dijon mustard went in to simmer for another minute.

The filet was plated and drizzled with the sauce before having blue cheese crumbled over it. This was a truly spectacular dish.

The beef was accompanied with snow peas that were blanched for a minute and drained. They then went into a saute pan in a little butter, Dijon mustard and salt and pepper for about a minute to warm through.

I can't wait to make this again!

Mona's rating:

2 comments:

  1. Geez, Mom! So fancy for a dinner for one! :) As always, I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was delicious and really easy, it took a total of about 20 minutes.

    ReplyDelete