Pages

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Change of Pace with Top Chef


As I have mentioned several times I love to watch cooking shows and I enjoy watching Top Chef. This season is Top Chef All Stars which has chefs from previous seasons that did not win. I decided to make dinner from a winning recipe I had recently seen on the show. It was Richard Blais' Chicken Fried Codfish with Brussel Kraut and Ginger Beer.

I prepped the fish by setting up a traditional breading station, dredging the fish fillets first in seasoned flour, dipping them in beaten eggs with hot sauce, and finally in panko breadcrumbs with chopped parsley.

I made the Ginger Beer Sauce by reducing some ginger beer, chopped ginger, honey, soy sauce, veal glaze, and 2 dried hot peppers. The sauce was strained before serving.

I made the brussel kraut by sauteing some diced bacon with diced potato and diced ginger until softened. I added some shredded brussels sprouts and allowed them to soften slightly. This mixture was finished with some chopped tomatoes, parsley, dill, lime zest, fresh lime juice and salt and pepper.

The breaded fish fillets were pan fried until golden on both sides.

The brussel kraut mixture went on the the middle of the plate, topped with the fish fillet, surrounded by the sauce and garnished with some blanched brussels sprout leaves.

This was a superb dinner and Gerry and I agree on this rating:


The show picks a top recipe every week, so I am looking forward to trying many more of these winning recipes.

1 comment:

  1. David and I both love watching Top Chef. I hope we get to try one the recipes you recreate! :)

    ReplyDelete