Pages

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Yellow Rice and Black Beans

This week's Meatless Monday feature was rice and beans. I started with a pound of dried black beans which I covered with water in a big pot on Sunday night and left them to soak overnight.

Monday, I drained the beans, wiped out the pot and then sauteed a chopped onion, jalapeno, garlic and a bay leaf in a little olive oil until tender. I added the beans back in with enough water to cover the beans by an inch. I brought them to a boil and then reduced to a simmer and allowed them to simmer covered for about 1 1/2 hours until the beans were tender. Once they were cooked, I seasoned the entire batch with salt and pepper.

The beans were served over yellow rice which was long-grain rice, vegetable stock, water, crushed cloves of garlic, turmeric, salt and a bay leaf all combined in a pot. The contents were brought to a boil, reduced to a simmer, covered and simmered for 15 minutes. The pot came off the heat and was allowed to rest before fluffing. I removed the bay leaf and crushed cloves of garlic before serving.

A very inexpensive, flavorful and healthy meal thanks to Tyler Florence.

No comments:

Post a Comment