Pages

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Salmon with a Bite


Tonight's dinner was a salmon fillet with an Indian twist and spice to it. The recipe is from Bal Arneson's Spice Goddess show and I have made it before. For some reason it seemed particularly hot to me tonight. Gerry loved it since it just started to make him break out in a sweat (his measure of how good spicy food is). The salmon got a coating of grapeseed oil, sprinkled with salt and then rubbed with an indian spice mixture before going on the grill. It got a topping of mango Masala. I made some Jasmine rice to go with all of this which was a nice neutral base for the spice level.

This salmon recipe makes three definite excellent salmon recipes in our repertoire, however I might play around a little with the spices next time to tone it down just a notch.

Time to get back to the kitchen; I have a new sourdough starter which I just fed, I have garbanzo beans soaking overnight so I can cook them tomorrow to use for Monday night's dinner and I have 5 pounds of apples waiting for me to start an apple butter which will cook overnight in my crock pot. I love fall cooking!


Grilled Salmon with Mango Masala

2 tablespoons garam masala
2 tablespoons curry leaves*
1 tablespoon brown mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon asafoetida*
2 (6-ounce) salmon fillets
1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
Pinch salt

Mango Masala
1 large ripe mango, peeled and finely chopped
2 tablespoons mango juice
1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro leaves
1 tablespoon minced red onion
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1/2 teaspoon garam masala
Pinch Salt

* Can be found at specialty Asian and Indian markets

Preheat a grill to medium-high.

First grind the garam masala, curry leaves, mustard seeds, and asafoetida in a spice grinder or with a mortar and pestle.

Gently rub each salmon fillet with oil and season with the salt and ground spices. Lightly oil the grill and add the salmon fillets, skin side down. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes and then flip and cook the other side for an additional 5 minutes, until salmon is cooked and flakes with gentle pressure form a fork. Serve the salmon fillets with the Mango Masala.

Mango Masala
Mix all ingredients until well combined.

Gerry's rating:


My rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment