Pages

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Saturday Fish Fry


I love fried fish; even in my fish tacos, I prefer fried fish to grilled and every once in a while I crave just a good piece of fried fish. Fresh, wild-caught cod fillets were on sale at one of my grocery stores this week and I decided it was time to try a different version than the last one I made. There are two different ways to make fried fish: one is to season the serving size pieces of cod and then dip them in a wet batter before frying them. This way makes for a very light batter, but I find it often separates from the fish and I don't know the science behind why, but it will be further research for me another day.

Today, I went back to an old Rachel Ray 30 Minute dinner (probably from 8-10 years ago). This recipe calls for the serving size pieces of fish to again be seasoned with salt and pepper, then the fillets are dredged in flour, dipped in beaten eggs, and tossed in plain breadcrumbs that were simply seasoned with dry mustard and cayenne pepper. The breadcrumb coated pieces of fish are fried just as the batter dipped. I think I prefer this method since it does seem to coat the fish a little better and it is a little heartier.

Our side was Rachel's Oven Fries and I made Ina's Tartar sauce.

Recipe from Rachel Ray's 30 Minute Meals:
Fish Fry
Vegetable oil, for frying
1 1/2 to 2 pounds fresh cod
Salt and Pepper
1/2 cup all-purpose unbleached flour
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons cold water
2 cups plain bread crumbs
1/2 teaspoon dried mustard powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Wedged lemons

Pour 2-inches of vegetable oil into a large skillet. Place skillet over large burner and heat oil over medium high heat. To check if the oil is hot enough, drop in 1-inch cube of white bread. The bread should brown in a 40 count.

Cut cod into 4 servings, 6 to 8-ounce portions and season with salt and pepper. Place the flour in a pie tin. Combine egg and water in a second pie tin. Season plain bread crumbs with mustard and cayenne in the third pie tin. Coat fish in flour, then egg, and then bread crumbs. Gently set coated fish into hot oil and fry 5 minutes on each side until medium golden brown in color.

When the fish is evenly golden all over, remove and drain on paper towels or brown paper sacks.

Serves 4


From Rachel Ray's 30 Minute Meals:
Oven Fries
2 1/2 lbs. fingerling potatoes, quartered lengthwise
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 tablespoons melted butter
Coarse Salt
Malt vinegar, for sprinkling (optional)

Preheat oven to 550 degrees, or highest setting

In a large mixing bowl, toss potato wedges with oil and melted butter. Spread potatoes in a single layer on a cookie sheet. Roast potatoes 20 minutes, turning once, until deeply golden all over.

Season with salt and sprinkle with malt vinegar, is using. Pile fries into a basket or shallow dish, lined with brown paper.


Gerry and I agree:

No comments:

Post a Comment