Pages

Friday, September 9, 2011

Sausage, Egg and Cheese Biscuits


I don't normally cook breakfast for dinner, but I decided to do just that yesterday. I had recently watched an episode of Kelsey's Essentials on the Cooking Channel where her show was dedicated to breakfast foods and I was intrigued by her homemade sausage patties. On her show she served her breakfast sandwich on Portuguese rolls which I have not found here in Texas, so I decided to make biscuits for the bread. As it turns out, the biscuits were not a great move since they were not sturdy enough to hold the fillings. The whole thing turned out okay, but I'm not sure I will do it again.

I used Tyler Florence's biscuit recipe which follows:

4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 cup vegetable shortening, cold, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 1/2 to 2 cups buttermilk, plus additional for brushing

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Sift together the flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Cut in the shortening using a pastry blender or your hands or a stand mixer fixed with a dough hook until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center and add 1 cup buttermilk. Using your hands, quickly fold the dry ingredients into the buttermilk until a sticky dough forms. You may need to add more buttermilk.

Turn the dough out onto a floured surface. Gently fold the dough over itself 3 or 4 times to create layers. Press the dough out to 1 1/2-inches thick and cut with a floured 3-inch biscuit cutter. Lay the biscuits on an ungreased cookie sheet and brush the tops with buttermilk. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until risen and golden brown.


Here is Kelsey's recipe for Homemade Breakfast Sausage:
1 pound ground pork
2 tablespoons maple syrup
2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
1 teaspoon granulated onion
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper

In a large bowl, mix the ground pork, maple syrup, sage, salt, fennel seeds, garlic, onion and crushed red pepper. Form into 4 sausage patties.


I started with the biscuits and while they were baking, I mixed the sausage and made the patties. I browned the sausage patties in 1 tablespoon of oil in my cast iron skillet about 4 minutes per side until a nice crust had formed and they were cooked through.

I fried up some eggs and topped each egg with a slice of American cheese when I flipped them. I covered the pan so the cheese would completely melt.

I topped a biscuit half with a sausage patty, topped with an egg with all the melted cheese on top and a drizzle of ketchup.

In theory, this sounded good but the biscuits just fell apart as we tried to eat.

I give this dish:

No comments:

Post a Comment