Pages

Monday, December 5, 2011

Black Bean and Roasted Tomato Burritos

For this week's Meatless Monday dinner, I decided on burritos. I started my menu choice by knowing I wanted to make black beans and roasted tomatoes. I felt this was not quite substantial enough for dinner, so I decided to cook up some rice to add to the mixture and then I thought I could wrap it all in a burrito. Of course it needed some kind of sauce to hold it all together, so I thought a Queso Blanco would do the job perfectly.

These were good, but I think they could have used a little more bite and flavor. I think the addition of a spicy tomato salsa would be great.



Black Bean and Roasted Tomato Burritos (2 generous or 3 smaller servings)
Adapted from Annie's Eats

2 burrito sized flour tortillas
1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
2 tablespoons olive oil
Pinch of kosher salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 1/2-2 cups cooked black beans (1 can, rinsed and drained)
Juice and zest of one lemon
2-3 scallions, chopped

Queso Blanco Sauce (recipe following)
1/2 tablespoon canola or vegetable oil
2 tablespoons onion, finely chopped
1/2 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
6 oz. white American cheese, shredded
2 oz. Monterey jack cheese, shredded
1/4-1/2 cup milk
1/2 tomato, seeded and finely diced
1 tablespoon cilantro, minced

To roast the tomatoes, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Combine the tomatoes, olive oil, salt, and sugar on a rimmed baking sheet and toss well to coat. Bake for about 40 minutes, tossing once or twice during cooking. Remove from the oven and let cool.

In a large bowl, combine the beans, lemon zest and juice, scallions, and roasted tomatoes. Toss well to combine.

Prepare the Queso Blanco

Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and jalapeño to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Add both of the shredded cheeses and ¼ cup of the milk. Whisk or stir until completely melted. Mix in the tomato and cilantro, and add additional milk gradually as necessary to achieve desired consistency.

Add half of the queso to the rice and bean mixture and stir to combine. Adjust seasonings to taste.

Spoon half of the filling on to a burrito-sized flour tortilla and roll up.


My rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment