Pages

Monday, December 12, 2011

Mashed Potatoes and Mushroom Gravy

I decided to make a very home-style kind of dinner tonight for Meatless Monday. I cooked up some potatoes with garlic and mashed them when done with some buttermilk, a little bit of butter and seasoned with salt and pepper. I topped the mound of mashed potatoes with mushroom gravy. I cooked up some chopped onions along with a lot of sliced mushrooms in olive oil until cooked through and browned. Once they were browned, I added some butter and stirred in flour to make a roux. I added a splash of soy sauce for color and flavor and then stirred in vegetable broth. I stirred and simmered this mixture just as you would make a traditional gravy.



Mushroom Gravy
Adapted from About.com/Vegetarian

12 ounces white button mushrooms, sliced thin
1/2 med. onion, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
3 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup flour
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 cups vegetable broth

In a large skillet heat the tablespoon olive oil over medium high heat, add the onions, mushrooms and poultry seasoning and saute for about 8-10 minutes, stirring frequently. Once the mushrooms reduce their liquid and turn a golden brown, add the butter and allow to melt before stirring in the flour. Continue to stir for 1 minute and then add the soy sauce and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and stir and simmer until desired thickness.


My rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment