Pages

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Oven Roasted Root Vegetables

When Gerry goes out of town, I am always faced with the dilemma of what to cook for myself if I decide to cook at all. Tonight I decided to oven roast a bunch of vegetables that were in my CSA basket. I had some turnips, a carnival squash, carrots, broccoli and I added red potatoes. I cut all the vegetables to approximately the same size and spread everything out on a baking sheet. A good drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkling of salt and pepper was all that was needed before popping the baking sheet in a 400 degree oven. I tossed all the vegetables after 30 minutes of roasting and allowed everything to roast for another 30 minutes. The only vegetable that was not a root vegetable was the broccoli which roasted just fine along with
everything else. I also bought a piece of chili glazed tofu from Whole Foods and dinner was ready in a snap.



The only time consuming part of making dinner was in cutting all the vegetables. Once everything was in the oven, my work was done; the rest was up to the oven.

I love roasting vegetables since it brings out the natural flavors of each individual vegetable.



Oven Roasted Root Vegetables with Broccoli (4-5 servings)

5-6 small red potatoes, scrubbed and halved depending on size
1 large turnip, peeled and cut in 1-inch pieces
4-5 carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 squash, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
1 head of broccoli, separated into florets, stems peeled and cut in 1/2-inch pieces
2 tablespoons olive oil
kosher salt and pepper to taste

Spread all the cut up vegetables on a sheet pan, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss all the vegetables to be sure they are well coated with the olive oil (I like to use my hands). Place baking sheet in a preheated 400 degree oven. Roast for 30 minutes and toss vegetables spreading back out to a single layer. Roast for another 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender and caramelized. Finish with another sprinkling of salt and pepper if needed.


My rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment