Pages

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Pasta Fagioli

I love the holiday season with all the different gatherings where you get to know people on a different level. I love my workout routine which I go to faithfully every day and because of this I am more able to eat the foods I want. Tonight I went to a holiday gathering of fellow Jazzercise women and it was fun to get to know people on a different level. I had a great time and the food was wonderful. There were lots of appetizers and lots of desserts.

I decided a soup sounded perfect for tonight, but Gerry actually ended up making it since I ran out of time. We had Pasta Fagioli and it was wonderful. How can you go wrong with a Pasta and Bean Soup on a cold night in December? It was perfect to have a bowlful of hearty soup before heading out to a party where food was everywhere.

Pasta Fagioli
Adapted from Skinnytaste.com

1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
1 carrot, finely chopped
1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
1 large bay leaf
1 tablespoon basil
1 tablespoon parsley
1 teaspoon oregano
3 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 cups water
salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) dry Ditalini pasta or other small pasta
Grated Parmigiano or Romano for serving

In a deep pot, saute onion and garlic in olive oil over medium heat.

Blend the beans with one can full of water in blender until almost smooth.

Add blended beans to pan, then add the can of tomato sauce, celery, carrots, chicken broth, basil, bay leaf, parsley, oregano, salt and pepper. Add 1 cup water and bring to slow boil. Let simmer for 20 minutes stirring occasionally. Add pasta and cook uncovered until pasta is al dente, according to pasta directions.

Ladle soup into bowls and top with grated cheese if desired.


Our rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment