Pages

Monday, January 16, 2012

Shaved Asparagus Pizza

Sometimes a pizza sounds perfect. I usually plan something more than a pizza for dinner, but this one has had me curious for a while. I had a pizza dough stashed in my freezer from the last time I made pizza, so I let it thaw in the refrigerator all day. I then brought it out to room temperature for 30 minutes while I was preheating my pizza stone in a very hot oven. I rolled out the dough and brushed it with olive oil to start with and then spread it with a layer of sliced mozzarella cheese. The asparagus spears were shaved using a vegetable peeler to shave the spears into ribbons. The shaved asparagus was piled on the crust and finally some Boursin garlic herb cheese was crumbled over the top. After 12 minutes in a hot oven on a hot pizza stone, this is what I got.



Shaved Asparagus Pizza
Adapted from Annie's Eats

Pizza Dough
cornmeal
olive oil
8 oz. asparagus spears
4 oz. fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
3 oz. spreadable garlic herb cheese, such as Boursin
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Preheat the oven and a pizza stone at 500 degrees for at least 30 minutes. Dust a piece of parchment paper with cornmeal and roll out the pizza dough into a 12-14 inch round. Lightly brush the surface of the dough with olive oil.

Cut the tough woody stems off the ends of the asparagus spears. Use a vegetable peeler to shave the spears into ribbons. You likely will not need all of the asparagus, but use more ribbons that you think you need because it will cook down in the oven.

Place the sliced mozzarella over the pizza dough in an even layer. Pile the asparagus shavings over the top of the mozzarella. Dot the surface of the pizza with the garlic herb cheese. Season with kosher salt and pepper.

Transfer the pizza with the parchment paper to the preheated pizza stone and bake until the cheese is melted and bubbling and the crust is lightly browned, about 12 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly before slicing and serving.

Our rating:
+

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you tried this. It's one of those recipes that when you first see it, your not sure how it's going to be! I think we'll definitely put this on our list of stuff to try!

    ReplyDelete