Pages

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Taco Salad

Elizabeth requested this Taco Salad for our Tuesday night dinner with her friends and I gladly obliged her since this recipe is easy, inexpensive, really serves a crowd and is delicious. I knew I couldn't go wrong. I started by browning a pound of ground sirloin and then adding some of my homemade taco seasoning and water and allowing this to cook down. I made a dressing by combining some low-fat sour cream with bottled salsa and set it aside.

I shredded lots of iceberg lettuce and chopped a couple of fresh tomatoes. I shredded some cheddar cheese and drained and rinsed a can of black beans. I slightly crushed some tortilla chips and finally I combined everything. Dinner was ready. I also served the rest of the Mocha Icebox Cake from Saturday night. It turned out to be a very nice dinner.



Taco Salad (Serves 10)
Adapted from Cooking Light

1 pound ground sirloin
1 (1.25-ounce package) taco seasoning
3/4 cup water
1 cup low-fat sour cream
1 cup bottled salsa
8 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
4 cups (4 ounces) lightly crushed tortilla chips (or bite-sized tortilla chips)
2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes, drained
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded low-fat sharp cheddar cheese, divided
1 (15-ounce) can black or kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup sliced ripe black olives (optional)

Cook the beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat until browned, stirring to crumble. Stir in taco seasoning and water. Reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Combine sour cream and salsa in a small bowl.

Combine the beef mixture, iceberg lettuce, tortilla chips, tomatoes, 1/2 cup cheese and beans in a large bowl. Drizzle the sour cream mixture over the salad, and toss gently. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese and black olives (if desired). Serve immediately.


My rating:
+

No comments:

Post a Comment