Pages

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Key Lime Panna Cotta with Berry Coulis

A few weeks ago, my daughter Elizabeth mentioned how much she was craving her best friend's mother's recipe for Red Beans and Rice. Later that week, I dug through some recipes that I had collected over the years and found the coveted recipe. I recreated this dish for her tonight and will tweak the recipe a little bit before posting it.

I also made a batch of my homemade dinner rolls since I always try to have some of these on hand in the freezer.



I rounded out dinner with Key Lime Panna Cotta. I found a big bag of key limes on sale yesterday for less than $2.00, so I will be trying a few key lime recipes. Panna cotta is Italian for cooked cream. Basically the cooked cream can be flavored any way you want. This one was flavored with key lime juice, grated zest and some coconut milk. I had never made a Panna Cotta before and was very pleased with how this came out. I also made a mixed berry coulis to go over it which was delicious. I let each person decorate their own dessert plate which was very fun. I will be posting several pictures from this adventure. I will definitely be trying another key lime dessert later this week.


Key Lime Panna Cotta with Berry Coulis (Serves 6)

1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup half and half
1/2 cup coconut milk
3/4 cup sugar
1 package unflavored gelatin
1 teaspoon grated Key lime zest
1/4 cup fresh Key lime juice


In a saucepan, gently heat the cream, half and half, and coconut milk. Add the sugar and gelatin. Once dissolved, add the grated lime zest and juice. Bring the cream to a simmer and keep at a low simmer for about 10 minutes to meld the flavors then pour into 6 ramekins. Place in the refrigerator to chill and set for about 6 hours or overnight. Serve with Berry Coulis (recipe follows) and top with a fresh fruit, if desired.

To unmold, place ramekins in very hot water for a moment. Run a small spatula around the sides to release. Turn onto a plate, with a vigorous motion if necessary.



Berry Coulis
1 (12 ounce) package frozen mixed berries
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons Triple Sec or other orange flavored liqueur, optional

Place berries and sugar in a medium size saucepan and bring to a boil. Cook on medium heat for 1-2 minutes.

Place in a blender or food processor and puree. Add Triple Sec (if using) and lemon juice and strain mixture through a fine strainer. Taste and add more sugar if needed.


Adapted from The Cafe Sucre Farine

My rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment