Pages

Monday, April 16, 2012

Key Lime Pie Bars

If you are a reader of my blog, you may remember that I made Key Lime Panna Cotta last week and since I still had more than half of a bag of key limes left, I decided to make these Key Lime Pie Bars. I liked the idea of these since I knew I could cut them into smaller squares which seems much more reasonable than eating a slice of pie. These bars are really very easy to make; the only hard part was squeezing the tiny little limes to get a total of 3/4 cup fresh lime juice. I used the entire rest of the bag (minus one little key lime) to get the necessary juice and my hands smelled great the rest of the afternoon. These were definitely delicious (although absolutely not low-cal) and sure to make the occasional appearance on our dessert table.



Key Lime Pie Bars (Makes 16)

1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
3 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
1/3 cup butter, melted
3 (14-ounce) cans sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup sour cream
3/4 cup key lime juice
1 tablespoon grated lime zest
Whipped cream, for serving, (optional
Toasted coconut, for serving (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8x8-inch pan with parchment, leaving a few inches overhang on two sides. Butter the parchment and set pan aside.

Combine the graham cracker crumbs, sugar and coconut in a medium bowl. Pour melted butter over and stir to combine. Press mixture into prepared pan and bake for 8-9 minutes. Set on a wire rack to cool.

While crust is cooling, make filling by whisking together the remaining ingredients in a medium bowl. Pour filling into cooled piecrust and return to oven. Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the filling feels just firm to the touch. Do not brown. Cool at room temperature, then chill thoroughly. Cut into bars and top with whipped cream and toasted coconut, if desired.

Slightly adapted from Cook like a Champion blog

My rating:

2 comments:

  1. Oh my! Those sound and look so yummy! The problem is that I would eat the entire plate....and then most likely ask for seconds!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were quite decadent. I enjoyed a few and then gave the rest away!

    ReplyDelete