Pages

Sunday, July 1, 2012

Filet Mignon with Chipotle Butter

The title of this post sounds decadent, doesn't it?  I thought I would do something special since it is Sunday and this is post number 500.  I can't believe I have blogged 500 times about the foods we enjoy.  I love blogging since it keeps me focused on trying new recipes or techniques.  We all have our favorite go to recipes, but the challenge is keeping it new and interesting. 



Gerry and I decided that we needed to cut back a little on the excess of food choices and amounts of the past few weeks with all the wedding preparations and activities.  My plan was to start on Monday and so I chose tonight's menu based on a last splurge, but ironically the filets came in at about 248 calories and the side dish of Grilled Corn and Fresh Pepper Salad came in at 151 calories...BONUS!!!  I really did not look at the health and/or calorie aspects of tonight's dinner, but I'm feeling pretty good about the head start.  This dinner certainly tasted decadent even though the calorie count wasn't.



Filet Mignons with Chipotle Butter
Serves 2

For the rub:
1 tablespoon cumin seeds
1/2 tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

For the filets:
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
1/2 tablespoon minced chipotle in adobo sauce
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
2 beef tenderloin filets, 1 1/2-inch thick (4-6 ounces each)
1 teaspoon olive oil

Preheat grill to medium-high.  Brush grill grate with oil

For the rub, toast cumin seeds in a skillet over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until fragrant, 1-2 minutes.  Transfer seeds to a small bowl to cool, 5 minutes.  Stir in brown sugar, salt, and pepper, set aside.

For the filets, combine butter, chipotle, and garlic in a small bowl.  Shape butter mixture into a log and wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate until ready to serve.

Score both sides of filets, then brush both sides with oil.  Coat both sides of filets with rub, pressing to adhere.

Grill filets, covered, 5-6 minutes per side for medium-rare.  Transfer filets to a plate, tent with foil and let rest 5 minutes.

Divide chipotle butter among the filets.

Adapted from Cuisine at Home, Issue Number 94, July/August 2012


My rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment