Pages

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Overnight Oatmeal in a Jar


I have seen several variations of this type of overnight oatmeal and so I tried it last week and it was really pretty good.  I decided to make another version this week and this one worked out much better.  We all know how good oatmeal is for us with helping to lower cholesterol but I have a tough time facing a steaming bowl of oatmeal in the heat of summer.  This is a fabulous way to get your oatmeal in the summer.  You simply place the oatmeal in a Mason jar or some other container with a tight lid, add some milk, yogurt, chia seeds and some fruit.  Last week, I tried blueberries and bananas and this week I added mango and almond extract.  The possibilities are endless as far as fruit and flavoring additions.

My vegan menu for the day:
Breakfast - Overnight Oatmeal in a Jar
Lunch - Baked Stuffed Sweet Potato
Dinner - Whole Wheat Spaghetti with Marinara Sauce and meat-substitute crumbles, Salad



Overnight Oatmeal in a Jar
Makes 1 serving

1/4 cup uncooked old fashioned rolled oats
1/3 cup skim milk (I used soymilk)
1/4 cup low-fat Greek yogurt (I used coconut milk based yogurt)
1 1/2 teaspoons dried chia seeds
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon honey (or substitute any preferred sweetener)
1/4 cup diced mango (approximately half of a small mango)

In a half pint jar or container, add oats, milk, yogurt, chia seeds, almond extract and honey.  Put lid on jar and shake until well combined.  Add mangoes and stir with fork until mixed throughout.  Return lid to jar and refrigerate overnight or up to 2 days.  Eat chilled.

Slightly adapted from The Yummy Life.com

My rating:

+

No comments:

Post a Comment