Pages

Saturday, December 1, 2012

Frosted Molasses Cookies

I started my day with an hour long walk on the River Walk trail right by our RV park.  It has been overcast every morning with fog on a couple of days.  The sun usually starts peeking through the clouds about mid-morning.  The mornings have been a little cool (in the 50's on average) and the afternoons warming up to the high 60's to mid 70's - just perfect.  Here are a couple of shots I took this morning while walking.








I crave these cookies every once in a while and they are always on the Christmas cookie platter.  These are a soft molasses cookie with raisins and glazed with a light vanilla flavored frosting.  I grew up on these cookies so they are definitely a comfort food for me.  I happen to be very lucky that Gerry loves all things containing molasses.


Frosted Molasses Cookies
Makes 2 dozen

For the cookies:
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup shortening (Crisco)
1/2 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup molasses
1/2 cup raisins

For the frosting:
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon butter
1 1/2 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Heat oven to 350 degrees.

Sift together flour, baking soda, salt, ginger, and cinnamon.

Cream shortening and brown sugar.  Add the beaten egg and molasses.  Beat until smooth.

Add dry ingredients to batter, mixing by hand until smooth.  Fold in raisins.

Drop by tablespoon 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake 10 to 12 minutes.

Frost while warm.

Frosting:  Cream all ingredients together.


Recipe from my childhood

My rating:
-->


No comments:

Post a Comment