Pages

Monday, February 4, 2013

A Lovely Bridal Shower

I hosted a shower for a beautiful young lady on Saturday.  It's wonderful when you watch your children and their friends grow up and mature into young adults that you're proud of.  I had the chance to celebrate one of my daughter's best friends which was a lot of fun.


This is a picture of the Bride to Be, Heather on the left and my daughter, Elizabeth on the right.

It was a brunch type of affair with mimosas, sweet tea, and coffee as the beverage choices.

Here is the menu which includes a lot of items that I have previously posted on my blog:

Quiche Lorraine
Mushroom and Shallot Quiche (recipe below)
Cornmeal Crusted Roasted Ratatouille Tart
Mixed Salad with Strawberries, Mango and Edamame
BLT Pasta Salad
Barbecued Meatballs
Finger Sandwiches which included:
Ham Salad on small Hawaiian Sweet Rolls
Pimento Cheese on White Bread
Chicken Salad on Wheat Bread
Homemade Boursin Cheese with Veggies and Crackers
Mini Blueberry Muffins
Strawberry Scones
Fresh Fruit Platter
Chocolate Caramel Truffle Torte
Cake Pops (from a bakery)

I could not have accomplished all this without the help and support of my daughters who were fabulous to work with.  We spent many hours side by side in the kitchen which was really enjoyable.  I love having the occasion to roll up my sleeves, come up with a master plan and schedule and carry it through.  Thank you, Heather for giving me the opportunity!

I have linked those recipes that are already posted on my blog and will add the rest over the next couple of days.  For some reason, I don't have a picture of the Chocolate Caramel Truffle Torte, so I won't post that recipe until I have a chance to make it again.



Mushroom and Shallot Quiche
Makes 6 servings

1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 shallots, finely chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 pound mushrooms, trimmed, wiped clean, and cut into 1/4-inch thick slices (I used cremini)
2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme
1 9 to 9 1/2-inch tart shell, partially baked and cooled
3/4 cup heavy cream
2 large eggs
2 scallions, white and pale green parts only, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons finely grated Gruyere

Melt the butter in a large skillet, preferably one that's nonstick.  Toss in the shallots, season with salt and pepper, and cook over medium-low heat, stirring, until translucent, about 2 minutes.  Add the mushrooms, season again with salt and pepper, turn the heat up to high, and cook, stirring, until they are softened and browned, 5 to 8 minutes.  The mushrooms will first sop up all the liquid in the pan, then they'll exude it, then it will disappear.  Sprinkle the mushrooms with 1 tablespoon of the thyme and cook for 30 seconds more, then turn the mushrooms into a bowl to cool for at least 15 minutes.

Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Put the crust on a baking sheet.  Sprinkle the remaining tablespoon of thyme over the bottom of the crust.  Spoon over the mushrooms, avoiding any liquid that has accumulated in the bowl.  Lightly beat the cream and eggs together just until well blended, season with salt and pepper, and pour over the mushrooms.  Top the custard evenly with the sliced scallions and grated cheese.

Carefully slide the baking sheet into the oven and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the custard is uniformly puffed (wait for the center to puff), lightly golden and set.  Transfer the quiche to a rack and cool the quiche until it's only just warm or until it reaches room temperature before serving.

From Around my French Table

My rating:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment