Pages

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Guacamole

Having lived in Texas for almost 18 years now, we have had many different versions of guacamole and I really like most of them.  Some people mash it very smooth and some use too much salt for my taste.  All treatments include lime or lemon juice and usually a fair amount of cilantro (which people either love or hate).  I have found Ina Garten's recipe to be a crowd pleaser since it uses lemon juice instead of lime which I think mellows out the flavor and has no cilantro.  The recipe makes 3 cups which we can't eat in one sitting and I don't like to keep the leftovers, so I always cut it in half and it comes out perfect.


Guacamole
Makes 3 cups

4 ripe Hass avocados
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (1 lemon)
8 dashes hot sauce (recommended Tabasco)
1/2 cup red onion, small dice
1 large clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 medium tomato, seeded and small-diced

Cut the avocados in half, remove the pits, and scoop the flesh out of their shells into a large bowl.  Immediately add the lemon juice, hot sauce, onion, garlic, salt and pepper and toss well.  Using a sharp knife, slice through the avocados in the bowl until they are finely diced (I use my pastry blender to mash them).  Add the tomatoes.  Mix well and taste for salt and pepper.


Recipe from Barefoot Contessa

Our rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment